Wills & Estates
Planning your estate is an important means of ensuring that your heirs will benefit from the best possible tax savings while also protecting your valued assets after death. We will work with you to plan your estate to address estate trustees, asset protection, creditor proofing, wealth transfer, trusts, and more. We offer fixed pricing for these important Estate Planning services:
- Powers of Attorney
- Survivorship/estate applications
For executors, we also offer this Simple Estate Service.
Our power of attorney lawyers, will and estate lawyer, and legal assistants are here to support you by appointing estate trustees, helping to interpret Wills, assisting with the distribution of estate assets, filing estate documents, managing an asset inventory, and more.
Wills and Powers of Attorney
As the trustee or executor of an estate, you want to ensure that your spouse, friend, or family member's wishes regarding the disposal of assets are respected. Carrying out the tasks involved in an estate can be overwhelming and confusing, particularly if the experience is new to you.
Guertin Lawyers, an Ottawa law firm, offers a Will and Power of Attorney service that provides you with expert legal guidance and ensure that the executor's obligations and the deceased's wishes are met.
The Value of a Will
A Will tells family and friends – as well as the government – how you wish your estate and assets to be divided when you die. Without one, the law dictates a code of distribution that is rarely favorable for any type of estate. Having a will means you can name someone you trust to take care of details and to be a guardian of your children for example.
We offer clients a 25% discount on our Wills & Power of Attorney Service within three months of completing a real-estate transaction with us.
Power of Attorney
Power of Attorney gives another individual the power to act on your behalf in legal or financial matters. It is important in two situations that involve your real estate assets:
- If you cannot be present to sign closing documents for your purchase or sale, a Power of Attorney assigns that right to your lawyer or another person to act on your behalf.
- If you are ever out of the country or incapacitated and unable to take care of your assets, bills and other obligations, a Power of Attorney assigns that right to a friend or family member of your choice to act on your behalf.
Whether you are about to buy your first home, thinking of moving or simply refinancing, now is the time to add a Power of Attorney and a Will to your plans.
GET STARTED: Start the Will & Power of Attorney process today by completing our convenient online Questionnaire — when we receive your submission we will contact you to confirm our Legal Fees and to schedule your appointment.*
- Go to Wills and Powers of Attorney Questionnaire (English) >>
- Visitez Questionnaire pour Testaments et Procurations (Français) >>
Or, contact us for more information.
Simple Estate Service (Probate)
As an executor for a loved one, you are able to ensure that their wishes are carried out after their death. However, it can sometimes be complicated and time-consuming. We are here to help you carry out your duties and ensure that the estate is managed efficiently and legally.
Many financial institutions require that a Certificate of Estate Trustee (with or without a Will) be granted to an executor to legally appoint them as Estate Trustee. This Certificate will help the administration of the estate run smoothly, however it is not always mandatory. Please contact our office to determine if you need to apply for this certificate from the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
Filing an application for a Certificate of Estate Trustee (with or without a Will) requires some expertise. We can help you determine whether the Estate requires that any documents be filed with the court and will assist you in this process.
Our legal fees for the Simple Estate Service include:
- Reviewing the will
- Contacting the personal representative to obtain relevant and clarifying information
- Explaining the Estate Administration process to you
- Preparing the necessary documents required to complete the application
- Calculating the Estate Administration Tax (formerly known as Probate Fees)
- Meeting with you to sign all relevant documentation
- Filing the necessary documents with the Estate Registrar of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice
*Please note that Guertin Lawyers' basic Wills & Power of Attorney package applies to these situations only:
- A typical couple with or without children wishes to will all of their belongings to their spouse or, should their spouse not survive for 30 days, to their children or next-of-kin in equal shares.
- The same couple wishes to name each other as Attorney with power to do anything on the other's behalf, including disposing of property and making decisions for the personal care of the other.
If your Will and Power of Attorney needs are more complex, please call us to discuss.