Tools & Information
Ontario New Home Warranty Program
Established in 1976, The Ontario New Home Warranty Program is a private corporation whose mandate is to protect the rights of new-home buyers. It regulates new-home builders and ensures that they abide by the Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act. It also protects you by intervening when builders fail to fulfill their warranty obligations.
As the regulator of Ontario's new home building industry, the Ontario New Home Warranty Program serves the following functions:
- Registers new home builders and vendors
- Erolls new homes for warranty coverage
- Investigates illegal building practices
- Resolves warranty disputes between builders, vendors and homeowners
- Promotes high standards of construction among Ontario's new home builders
- Works with the industry to educate new-home buyers about their warranty rights.
It is the responsibility of your builder to enroll your home in the Warranty Program. You will be required to perform and sign off on a final inspection, and you will be provided with several documents for your records. As part of our fixed price for new-home purchases, we will review all such documents to ensure that your new-home purchase is a solid investment from a legal perspective.
If you would like to know more about the Warranty program, the Ontario new Home Warranties Plan Act, or your rights as a new homebuyer, visit www.tarion.com. To work with Guertin Lawyers on your purchase of a new home, contact us to receive an ONHW booklet.