How Can We Help?
If you are selling a home, you should prepare the following items before you visit us:
Provide your real-estate agent with your lawyer's name, phone and fax numbers, so that your agent can provide us with the Agreement of Purchase and Sale.
Note that it is a good idea to make yourself a separate list or schedule of the conditions of the offer – such as financing, a home inspection and any special considerations that are part of the offer – so that you remain aware of any time-sensitive material that could cause the offer to expire. You will also need to inform us when you waive any conditions that are part of the offer.
Provide your bank or lender with your lawyer's name, phone and fax numbers, so that your lender can provide us with all necessary mortgage documentation. We will need to know:
- Name of the institution
- Contact person
- Reference or docket number.
Please ask your lender that this information be sent to us a few weeks prior to the closing date in order to facilitate the closing.
- Your contact information – provide us with your phone numbers where you can be reached.
- Names and dates of birth – we will need the name and date of birth of each person that appears on your title to the new property.
- Confirm your spousal status (e.g. single, married, common-law spouses, divorced, separated, etc.)
- Inform us of how the property is heated (e.g. gas, electric, oil). If it is oil-heated, we will need the name and phone number of the oil company. In addition, you will need to fill the oil tank prior to closing.
- If the property has an alarm, inform us whether the alarm will be cancelled, and provide us with the alarm code and alarm company's information.
- Provide us with the survey of the property, if one is available.
- If you are selling a condominium unit, we will need to know the amount of the condo fees.
- Provide us with your most recent property tax bill as well as proof of payment of all taxes.
- If water on the property is metered quarterly, provide us with the amount of quarterly payments you make, as well as dates of payment and proof of payment of all installments.
If you are selling a rental property, please provide us with all of the following:
- Amount of rent
- Amount of rent that is prepaid (if applicable)
- Are other tenants on the property staying or leaving
- Any formal claims or disputes with renters
- A copy of the rental lease(s) of each tenant
- For the final appointment with us, bring a set of keys to the property. Leave the balance of keys on the property's kitchen counter.
Other Important Matters
Following is a list of other requirements to be aware of, and tips to make your buying experience run smoothly:
Contact your utility providers (telephone, cable, heating, hydro, water, municipal tax office, etc.) and inform them of your move date and account termination so that any adjustments are prepared for you. While we will be in touch with the utilities for you, it is still a good idea to contact them for details that are specific to your situation such as arranging for new hook-ups, returning equipment from your existing premises and any other items. For example, moving from one service area to another may affect your cellular phone plan.
Also, become acquainted with your local municipality and utility companies, and arrange for telephone and cable hookups and fire insurance at your new address. These are some useful links:
- City of Ottawa – Ottawa Property Taxes – Ottawa Water & Sewer
- Hydro Ottawa
- Enbridge Gas
- Bell Canada
Book your moving arrangements as soon as possible to ensure the best rates and availability of the moving company, or a truck if you are doing it yourself. Getting access to a truck at the last minute may be challenging if you are moving in August, when most students are also moving to back to school.
If you are moving into a condo, include the condominium corporation or property manager in your moving arrangements, to ensure that you can complete your move according to plan. For example, the availability of elevators may need to be arranged.
If you are moving in on the same day that your deal closes, we recommend that you scheduled movers for late morning or early afternoon, as keys are usually released between 1:00pm and 4:00pm.
Change of Address Notification
Make sure everyone is informed of your pending change of address and when it will occur. This includes your employer, friends, business contacts and service providers. And, remember to provide them with all the changes that apply, including the mailing address, e-mail, fax and phone numbers, and so on.
Get a Phone Number
A new telephone number can often be assigned to you well before you move so that you can forward it to others and make any necessary changes. This includes business lines, fax lines and private phone lines.
Start planning your move as far ahead as possible, and get packing. One of the biggest stressors during a purchase is waiting until the last minute to get packing.